By Samagnee Baruah
December 2 marks the celebration of the legacy of Ahom ruler Chaolung Sukapha. The entire state of Assam celebrates Asom Divas with much pomp and show.
Sukapha, the architect of ‘Bor Asom’ ruled over Assam in the 13th century, and is credited for founding the Ahom Dynasty that ruled over the region for six centuries.
But do you know Sukapha’s connection with our very own district, Dibrugarh? The first capital city of the Ahom kingdom was set up in Tipam, located around 62 km away from Naharkatia town, Dibrugarh. Tipam is one of the lesser known places with historical significance in Assam.
Swargadeo Sukapha reached Assam in 1228 AD, and conquered the kingdom of Tipam from the then Tai Prince, Sam-Long-Pha. The Prince offered the territory after understanding Sukapha’s intention of settling down in Tipam permanently. However, due to several reasons, Swargadeo Sukapha had to leave the territory and moved northwards.
Today, Tipam has quite a few attractions, one of which is Deosali Pahar, surrounded by greenery and tea gardens. The river Buri-Dehing flows by the hill, providing a perfect retreat to the visitors. Tourists throng the hill in numbers during special occasions. Another attraction of the place is ‘Mata Mandir’, which was earlier known as ‘Bon Devi Thaan’.